Friday, January 4, 2008

Realizing Your Child is Grown

As parents, we are always wanting to be a part of our children's lives. Some time we wear blinders on our eyes that distort our concept of them: we see them as small children who still need constant guidance. We fool ourselves into believing that they need us to take care of them or handle situations for them without realizing that our "hovering" is really retarding their growth.

The past two years, we have had to remove the blinders from our eyes and cast away the pride we had in the fact that our children truly needed us or they would not succeed. When we opened our eyes, we saw grown adult people not the small children that needed us so much.

We saw young men and women who have families of their own making very adult choices. They were deciding major things than effect their families and were succeeding in whatever they put their hand to. We realized that it was time to let go and let them make their own way and walk their own journey. For me, it was a relieve, to my husband, he felt that he was no longer needed.

I explained that he was still needed; but in a different role. We are still parents; but parents to adults. We are sounding boards and just because we would handle a situation one way, does not mean that our children should do so. We need to be willing to stand with them when they make a decision. We are still cheerleaders for their success and comforters whenever they need.

Each child has chosen different paths to walk..for some their path is filled with faith and relationship with Christ: for others, they are still searching. But each child will find their way this I am sure of.

Our lives are more enriched because of our journey with them. We love them and are blessed to have had the opportunity to watch them grow. We delight in the opportunity to watch them as parents and adults.

2 comments:

Brian and Becca said...

We love you too!

Tressa said...

I catch a glimpse of what your saying for we are realizing our children are growing too. Kayla will be nine soon and Emily will be eight soon after that!!

Its HARD! Our role as parents is ever changing. I have to ask God CONSTANTLY, "Please, show me, what am I to do?" or "What are my childrens needs?" or "How do I handle this?" God always seems to be faithful to show me how-where-when- and what to do as a parent.

He knows our childrens needs more than we do. And that gives me comfort, because I feel He ca give me insight when I feel "out of the loop" or He can catch me up when I feel behind sometimes.

Kathy, you and Willie are amazing parents. Joel and I appreciate the role you play in our lives, and there are numerous times that we could not have made it without your love and support. We are very grateful for everything you have done for us, and we hope we can be the same for our children.