Saturday, January 5, 2008

Granny Why?

"Granny, why is your skin getting all wrinkled and you have white stripes in your hair?" This is a question I was asked in earnest sincerity of a child. At that moment I had to decide: should I be worried that I am getting "all wrinkled with white stripes in my hair" or should I see it for what it is...a natural process that happens with aging?

I chose to laugh and explain that this is what happens when you are my age and getting older. I explained that it was nothing to be upset over because it is a natural process that the human body goes through. I did admit that there are those who look more youthful than I do.

The way I see it, every year that has been given to me is a gift from God. Some of those years have been more stressed filled, therefore, adding more grey hair and "worry lines". But I have more years of joy that have left "laugh lines". I rejoice that I have a crown of silver: for it represents years of a journey filled with adventures and learning experiences. I chose not to fight aging;but to embrace it. For in aging, I pray that I have found some wisdom in life. In aging, I am closer to seeing and touching the face of God. I have found a unshakeable faith and relationship with Jesus that only years of trusting Him can bring.

I do not fret over a few wrinkles or grey hair because they are just part of the housing for the real me: the spirit that is here on this earth until God decides otherwise. The part of me that lives on even after death is not concerned about the color of my hair or the wrinkles that are appearing with each year. I am concerned with what I do with the time I have left. Whether I will love as God has commanded me to love and help others find their life in Him.

I remember a verse that I repeated often when I was young "My times are in Your Hands" this fits whether you are young or old

No comments: