Friday, February 29, 2008

When Is the right time for a pity party?

I found myself at times thinking that things are rough. I am happy to say that it is not always the same thing or the same area: you see I was equal opportunity employer of the "pity party". Yep, a card carrying member of the "Winers Society".

I may not have wined out loud for my fellow travellers to hear; but God got an ear full from time to time. You see, my thoughts wondered at times from thinking about the blessings I do have to dwelling on short comings. Short comings I find in myself and in others. By dwelling, I became depressed and when depressed, I began to sing that chorus "Poor,Poor Me!..."

Thankfully, God sent a wonderful friend into my life who told me that I needed to set a time limit for such occasions. They told me I needed to send myself a mental invitation to a "Pity Party" : Set a date, time and location. For example: Wednesday,2:00p.m in the kitchen. The catch was that I may not invite anyone else and it can only last 5 minutes and I can only host one of these parties once a week.

That's right 5mintues and once a week only. I can serve myself a big helping of self pity and sing the "Poor Me Blues" all I want for that five minutes. After the five minutes are finished, I must rise up and dust myself off.

Those five minutes made me feel foolish at times because while I was there enjoying my self pity, thoughts began to creep into my head. Thoughts like this may be bad; but poor Miss X had something much worse happen to her. Then I began praying for Miss X that she knows the love of God toward her and then others follow with the same results,prayer.

After a while, I caught on...If I remained in an attitude of prayer, self pity would not find a place in my life. Not only had I learned to set a limit for myself; but I learned that if I am busy praying for the needs of others, I would not be dwelling about where I or others fall short.

Those five minutes taught me that the times I feel self pity is when I take my eyes off of Jesus and put them on myself. When I keep myself in conversation with God, I feel peaceful and confident. I feel my value as a human being: but mostly I find myself more open to hear what God is trying to say to me.

Self pity is a stumbling block. It keeps one from moving forward on their journey. Everyday, we have a choice: will we wear self pity as a chain to slow us down or will we keep our eyes focused on Jesus moving forward in prayer and joy?

No comments: