Sunday, February 3, 2008

I will never forget the day that our daughters told us: "We have found our biological mother!" The feelings that rolled over me that day ran from fear that I was losing them to sadness that I was not enough of a mother for them. Seeing them happy, I smiled and was happy for them all the while worry whether or not they were going to be hurt.

I had a friend who was several years older than our girls approached her biological moother and was greeted with the word,"I got rid of you once! What makes you think that I would want to see you now?" I remember her devastation and how her heart was broken; I surely did not what this happen to them and their brother after all of the years of hoping to find their biological family.

My husband made arrangements for a visit with their family as soon as possible and all I could do was pray that God would be their companion and comforter when needed. The visit went well and they began to keep in touch.

As time has gone by, the girls maturing and growing as well as experincing many things with the biological family began to understand why they were tall and whose features they had as well as some medical aspects of who they were. But most important, they learned that God had a bigger plan for their lives. They have learned that being adopted by our family gave them more opportunities than they would have had. They also learned about love that had conditions placed on it wheras, with us they were always given unconditional love and acceptance.

I also learned that I needed to trust that God knew what was going on all of the time. He knew that these three sibling needed to find their biological family so that they might get on with their lives and grab a hold of the plans He had designed for them. He knew that they needed to find answers to questions that we could not give them.

I enjoice that in the end of the Quest, our beautiful daughters found God's open arms and received great blessings. I am blessed that they are my children and I rejoice that they are apart of those fabulous five that God gave to me.

You see, in our family, God put us together like a fine seamstress puts together a beautiful heritage quilt. I, a woman who had never been married, a widower with children natural born and some adopted: Each one of us with our own past and personality were sewn together by the binding threads of Love. We have added 10 more patches that brighten that quilt, each as colorful and interesting. We are a family that God designed and brought together through love.

2 comments:

Tressa said...

Well put Kathy!

I love the analogy of the quilt. I can only imagine it with all the colors and patches each as colorful and unique, sewn together by the binding threads of love.

You are so right when you say we are a family that God designed and brought together through love.

Maybe someday everyone can pick out a color or pattern of fabric, and we can have quilts made for each family with this analogy in mind.

LOVE YOU!
Tressa

Brian and Becca said...

we are so blessed to have you for a mom and to be a part of this family. i like the quilt analogy too, we really should make one, that's a great idea.