Thursday, November 29, 2007

Love and forgiveness

I am always telling my husband that it was a shame that I had to go through parenthood before I could become a Granny. But now, I realize, I was given a gift from God in my five children.

I was 35 years old when I married. I had never been married and had thought that I was to remain single through out my life. I was certain that God was leading me to a life on the mission field and I had found contentment.

In the summer of 1988, I met a man (widower) and his five children. I promised to pray for him and his family. Not long after this meeting, I became their Nanny and in the Spring of 1990, I became wife and mother to this clan.

It was not all hearts and roses...there was a thorne or two along the way: but there was always love and forgiveness between us. I love my children as if I carried them within my womb and gave birth to them. I appreciate the women who did this unselfishly so that I might have the honor of watching them become men and women with families of their own.

I realize also that even though I had not given birth to them physcially: I did so spiritually. The times that I prayed for them and the hope of them even before I knew of them. God gave me a gift of five individuals with talents and gifts that vary from one end of the scale to the other. From these determined souls, I learned much more about life than I would have if I had never been blessed with them.

I confess, God and I got a whole lot closer because of them and my life is so full simply because God had a plan!

2 comments:

Tressa said...

Great post. And what a HUGE testimony to share. I am at awe of how God put the Willie Strickland family together.
I know tha we are so thankful for you! Your a wonderful mother and Granny!

Brian and Becca said...

I am so excited that you have a blog now, it will fun to read and i know the boys will love having me read your posts to them. We love you Granny.